Lentil and Semolina Pancake/
Daal aur Sooji ka Dosa/
Protein Packed Dosa
These are really horrible days. Temperature is almost 47 degree Celsius at most of the places. Viral fever and so many kind of flu are making things more worst. Eating healthy, staying hydrate and hygiene are the most important things nowadays. people prefer food which is less oily, more healthy, more hygienic and less spicy. I am searching more and more recipes to keep my fuzzy eater kids happy by trying new healthy dishes. Everybody knows Nutritional Value of Lentils. Since long i wanted to make these lentil pancakes but don't know why i always felt that dosa will stick to pan and become a mess and in this hot summer i can't afford failures and can't stay in kitchen to do more experiments. So kept postponing it.
Few days back my sis gave me these pancakes which she made for breakfast. I was amazed with the taste and texture. After eating some i came back home with the determination to try them as soon as possible and in the morning i soaked lentils and sooji/rava. At night when dinner was over i grinded 1 tbsp of lentils and sooji and made three pancakes as trail, so that in case of failure i can make a backup plan for morning breakfast. But it came out so tasty and it was so easy to make them. My son and daughter ate them and after five minutes my son came running for more pancakes. Somehow I convinced him that i will made more for breakfast.
In the morning i made lots of pancakes for them. You can have them with any side dish, sauce/chatni, milk, tea etc. Choice is up to you. If your kids don't take lentils then these pancakes are for you. You can have them in breakfast, dinner, lunch or evening as snacks. choice is up to you.
Daal/Lentils - 1 cup (use mixed lentils of your coice, i used masoor daal+chana daal)
Sooji - 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds- 1 tsp
Turmeric pdr- 1/2 tsp (optional)
Red chilly pdr- 1/2 tsp
Salt- as per your taste
Soak daal for minimum six hours
Soak sooji for minimum 1 hours
(i soaked both overnight)
Take daals/lentils and all spies in a grinder
(use little water if there is problem in grinding)
now put in soaked sooji
Take it out in a bowl
Pour a ladle full of batter and spread it like dosa
soon it will be cooked
now turn and cook for few seconds
Your DOSA is ready to be served
I served it with Paneer bhurji (recipe coming soon)
sending this to http://cookcookandcook.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/flavors-of-india-andhra-pradesh-event-announcement/
- You can use any lentils to make these pancakes. I used gram/chana daal and masoor daal.
- Soaking lentils for 5-6 hours is important. I soaked them overnight to make pancakes in the morning breakfast.
- Soak sooji for minimum one hours is necessary but i soaked it overnight with lentils.
- Soak sooji in almost double water as it will fluff up.
- Don't drain extra water used for soaking. it can be used to grind the lentil and sooji.
- Use your favorite spices to add in this, you can add green chilly or any other boiled vegetable to make it more healthy.
- You can grind boiled or raw vegetable with the lentils or add in the batter. I made them plain as it was first time so didn't wanted to do more experiments.
- You can serve it with any side dish, chatni/sauce, tea, coffe or even with milk.
HOPE YOU WILL LIKE IT